Certificate of Citizenship
Can a certificate of Maltese Citizenship be issued to a citizen of Malta?
A certificate of Maltese citizenship is issued on request of a foreign Government in order to prove one’s national status. Should a certificate of Maltese citizenship be required for other purposes, the applicant would need to prove justification.
How to Apply & Applicable Fees
- An enquirer will have to submit to the Agency the request for a certificate of citizenship made by the authorities of the applicable country, and present his / her Identity Card and / or Passport.
- If applicable, an enquirer will also need to submit:
- Birth certificate;
- Father’s birth certificate;
- Marriage certificate; and
- Parents’ marriage certificate.
- The certificate is issued against a fee of €15.
- In certain cases, additional documents may be requested;
- Applicants would need to present birth and marriage certificates issued by foreign authorities and local ecclesiastical authorities when these records are not available at the Public Registry.